Rental property scam targeting community
FORSYTH COUNTY — The local community is being targeted again involving a rental scam.
Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office Investigative Services Division has been notified by multiple residents of the scam. Two residents are victims of this scam by transferring money to the suspect(s). The investigation is continuing.
The sheriff’s office asks the community to be aware of the following:
• When renting a property, meet the landlord or owners face-to-face.
• Do not transfer money via any app for rental properties (Zelle, Paypal, Cashapp, Venmo etc.)
• If you do plan to rent a property, meet with a person to exchange all funds.
• Scammers are using social distancing and the pandemic as an excuse to not meet face-to-face.
• Most legitimate real estate companies will conduct a background check and meet face-to-face.
• The rental ads are being seen on Craigslist but are being copied from the original real estate ads.
If you have information about the scammers or are being targeted, call the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office at 336-727-2112 or Crimestoppers at 336-727-2800.
The Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Board of Education will meet on Tuesday, Jan. 12, to conduct its regularly scheduled work session. The... read more